Electron Configuration Model Confusion

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Andrew F 2L

Electron Configuration Model Confusion

Postby Andrew F 2L » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:04 pm

In class, Lavelle had kept using a diagram with up and down arrows and then he simply followed the periodic table and kept adding spin states I believe. Can someone explain what model that was and what he was doing like, was he filling up all the orbitals?

SGonzales_3L

Re: Electron Configuration Model Confusion

Postby SGonzales_3L » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:10 pm

I believe that diagram is simply a visual representation of electron configuration and of which orbitals are filled up given the number of electrons in an atom. Yes, he was filling up the orbitals as he went across the periodic table utilizing Hund's rule and the Aufbau principle.

Alex Chen 2L

Postby Alex Chen 2L » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:14 pm

SGonzales_3L wrote:I believe that diagram is simply a visual representation of electron configuration and of which orbitals are filled up given the number of electrons in an atom. Yes, he was filling up the orbitals as he went across the periodic table utilizing Hund's rule and the Aufbau principle.

This is correct. The up and down arrows represent the 1 or 2 electrons that are a part of the orbital, and the underline is the orbital itself (which is represented by the first three quantum numbers n, l, and ml).

Sydney Pell 2E

Postby Sydney Pell 2E » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:15 pm

I believe that every time he added another electron, he was diagramming the electron configuration of the next element on the periodic table. He was showing the order of which orbitals get filled up first by electrons.

Return to “Wave Functions and s-, p-, d-, f- Orbitals”