Probability of finding an electron at a certain location

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

briannam_1F

Probability of finding an electron at a certain location

Postby briannam_1F » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:19 pm

This was a topic that was in a reading (under Topic 1D), but I can't remember if it was discussed in lecture and also there wasn't any homework problems regarding this topic. Is this something that we are going to need to know for any exams? If so, is this something that can be brought up during discussions.

Anna Heckler 2C

Re: Probability of finding an electron at a certain location

Postby Anna Heckler 2C » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:22 pm

A good rule of thumb for determining the probability of finding an electron at a certain location is the orbital diagrams. For the p-orbitals, for example, the probability of finding an electron where the nodes intersect is 0, whereas the probability of finding one within the nodes is fairly equal at any location within the "cloud".

Abbey Brandt 1K

Postby Abbey Brandt 1K » Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:32 am

The above answer is a great explanation of the listed subject, but I'm not sure it's what you were looking for. I do not believe this was covered explicitly in lecture, but regardless it is an important subject to understand for future chemistry topics. I don’t know if you plan on continuing your chemistry career, but I'm sure this topic will come up in further detail in the next classes in this series (14B or C, etc.). Whether or not this is the case for you, I wouldn't stress about it too much. Read the response above and I'd recommend just keeping this in mind moving forward! If it will be a testable topic, it should be listed in the subject outlines Dr. Lavelle has provided on the website. If not, familiarize yourself with that brief summary and it'll ring a bell when a future professor brings it up, in which case he or she will likely go into further detail. I hope this helps!

AlyshaP_2B

Postby AlyshaP_2B » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:59 am

In the textbook chapters, I believe this concept only came up when referencing where electrons had 0 density or a "nonzero density." Since there weren't any homework questions assigned, I don't anticipate needing to know too many details about this concept!

Ziyan Wang 3J

Postby Ziyan Wang 3J » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:43 am

I think we are not required to calculate Schrodinger's function, but only need to know s-, p-, d-, f- orbitals (it's one of the conclusions of Schrodinger's function).

Return to “Wave Functions and s-, p-, d-, f- Orbitals”