Atomic Orbitals

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Lilyana Villa 1J

Atomic Orbitals

Postby Lilyana Villa 1J » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:17 pm

According to the Quantum World outline, we are supposed to be able to "describe the interpretation of atomic orbitals in terms of probability." What does this mean? Can some explain?

Venus_Hagan 2L

Re: Atomic Orbitals

Postby Venus_Hagan 2L » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:24 pm

I think for this we would need to know that orbitals look the way they look because they have certain nodal planes where the electrons have a zero probability of existing. So like the p orbitals have two lobes because there is a nodal plane where an electron will never exist, and the s orbital is spherical because it has no nodal planes and the electron has the probability of existing anywhere around the nucleus.

JOtomo1F
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby JOtomo1F » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:39 pm

Someone else asked this question and I thought there was a good response to it. "Each electron in an atom has a probability function that tells us the probability of finding an electron at a given point within that orbital." Hope that helps a bit!

DMuth_1J

Postby DMuth_1J » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:04 pm

I'm not sure if this is what you're asking, but we can only be confident to a certain degree of both the position and momentum of an electron at the same time. The uncertainty principle is that (position)(momentum), when momentum equals mass times velocity, must be greater than or equal to h, Plank's constant (6.626x10^-33) divided by four pi.

Natalie Nartz 4F

Postby Natalie Nartz 4F » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:07 pm

I am not 100% sure, but I believe it is referring to the probability function that corresponds to every electron. The function tells us the probability of finding an electron within that orbital. I hope this helps!

Return to “Wave Functions and s-, p-, d-, f- Orbitals”