Structural Analysis

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Alex Nguyen 3I

Structural Analysis

Postby Alex Nguyen 3I » Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:44 pm

I'm having a bit of a hard time imagining the 3 dimensional structure of the atom and its orbitals. So here's what I know/think: The nucleus is in the center, and as n increases so does the distance from the radius. At these distances n=1, n=2, and so on, there are certain shapes/orbitals that get increasingly further from the nucleus (so in a sense they repeat with increasing n with the addition of another shape). Not all these shapes have symmetry I think. Do these shapes exist with respect to the nucleus as the center of the shape? Any help/elaboration would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 878 times

Re: Structural Analysis

Postby Chem_Mod » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:09 pm

A lot of your thinking is spot on! One thing you might want to clarify is your comment about symmetry. All of the orbitals have some sort of symmetry, but I think what you were referring to was the idea the the s sub shell has spherical symmetry, therefore it can't have any other orientations. This is not the case for p or d orbitals (although they are symmetric, just not the same kind of symmetry as an s orbital) and so they have different orientations in relation to the nucleus. However the orientations does nothing to the energy level of the orbital, which is what we call degenerate orbitals.

Return to “Wave Functions and s-, p-, d-, f- Orbitals”