S Orbitals and nodal planes

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

HilaGelfer_2H
Been upvoted: 1 time

S Orbitals and nodal planes

Postby HilaGelfer_2H » Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:20 pm

Hi!

When comparing the different types of orbitals Dr. Lavelle mentioned that the s orbital unlike the others has no nodal plane and a symmetric electron density distribution. Does this then mean that there is no point in the s orbital for which we get an electron density distribution of 0? Furthermore, what impact does this make on our mathematical models for s orbitals in comparison to the orbitals?

Thanks in advance :)

Marylyn Makar 1B
Been upvoted: 3 times

Re: S Orbitals and nodal planes

Postby Marylyn Makar 1B » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:06 pm

Hi! Yes, I believe no nodal plane means that there is no electron density distribution of 0 in the s plane.

Aydin Karatas 1F

Postby Aydin Karatas 1F » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:15 pm

Yes, there is no point in the s-orbital where a nodal point exists, which means there is no point where e- ρ (electron density) = 0. In comparison to the p-, d-, and f-orbitals, s is the only orbital that lacks nodal points.

Hope this helps.

clairehathaway 2J

Postby clairehathaway 2J » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:59 pm

Aydin Karatas 1A wrote:Yes, there is no point in the s-orbital where a nodal point exists, which means there is no point where e- ρ (electron density) = 0. In comparison to the p-, d-, and f-orbitals, s is the only orbital that lacks nodal points.

Hope this helps.

I might be way off on this but does the s-orbital have no nodal point because the elements in the periodic table must always have at least one electron? I was thinking this because I believe the s-orbital is usually the first one to fill up so if it has no point where the electron density is 0 then all elements must always have at least one electron.

Audra Mcleod 3G
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Audra Mcleod 3G » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:00 pm

Hello!
I'm not too sure myself about the second part of your question, but I am almost certain that your first question regarding the fact that s orbitals do not have a point where the electron density is zero is true. In his lecture, Lavelle did not indicate that there were any other areas in an orbital where the probability of an electron density is zero apart from nodal planes, so we can assume that if an orbital lacks nodal planes it does not possess such a region. Moreover, this supports the symmetric e-p distribution of s orbitals, as this demonstrates electron densities are evenly spread throughout the s orbital instead of being concentrated in certain areas.

Aydin Karatas 1F

Postby Aydin Karatas 1F » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:02 pm

clairehathaway 3L wrote:
Aydin Karatas 1A wrote:Yes, there is no point in the s-orbital where a nodal point exists, which means there is no point where e- ρ (electron density) = 0. In comparison to the p-, d-, and f-orbitals, s is the only orbital that lacks nodal points.

Hope this helps.

I might be way off on this but does the s-orbital have no nodal point because the elements in the periodic table must always have at least one electron? I was thinking this because I believe the s-orbital is usually the first one to fill up so if it has no point where the electron density is 0 then all elements must always have at least one electron.

The s-orbital will still have 2 electrons with a different spins in it. As mentioned in Dr. Lavelle's lectures, these shapes are a result of mathematical wave functions. We know that for the s-orbital, (the angular momentum (of an electron) quantum number). An angular momentum value of anything other than 0 will result in a non-spherical shape as seen in the other suborbital (e.g. p-orbital: ).

H0pE |15 hEpS.

Return to “Wave Functions and s-, p-, d-, f- Orbitals”