Orbitals

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Lily Mohtashami

Orbitals

Postby Lily Mohtashami » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:44 pm

How come in lecture Dr. Lavelle says when n is 2, l can be 0,1, or 2. I thought l had to be n-1 so shouldn't l only be 1 if n is 2?

Sophia Spungin 2E

Re: Orbitals

Postby Sophia Spungin 2E » Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:04 pm

I believe that he was demonstrating that the upper bound of l is n-1. It can take on any possible values from 0 to n-1, with n-1 being the upper bound value. I don't think that if n=2 l could equal 1, but it could equal 0 or 1.

This is a chart that I used to better understand it. When n=3, l can have any value up to n-1.

Alan Huang 1E

Postby Alan Huang 1E » Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:02 am

Hm, I'm not sure that's correct? Maybe Dr. Lavelle misspoke but when n = 2, l should be only equal to 0 or 1 since l's upper bound is l = n-1. However, I may be incorrect.

LeanneBagood_2F

Postby LeanneBagood_2F » Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:23 pm

Sophia Spungin wrote:I believe that he was demonstrating that the upper bound of l is n-1. It can take on any possible values from 0 to n-1, with n-1 being the upper bound value. I don't think that if n=2 l could equal 1, but it could equal 0 or 1.

This is a chart that I used to better understand it. When n=3, l can have any value up to n-1.

Thank you so much for providing this chart! I saw it in the lecture but was unsure how to find it on my own.

I notice that on the side they provide images of the shapes (?) of the orbitals? Do they correspond to the n-values they are next to? If so, do the n-values sort of determine the dimension (ie 2-Dimensional, 3-Dimensional) of the orbitals?

Sofia Lombardo 2C

Postby Sofia Lombardo 2C » Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:08 pm

LeanneBagood_2E wrote:
Sophia Spungin wrote:I believe that he was demonstrating that the upper bound of l is n-1. It can take on any possible values from 0 to n-1, with n-1 being the upper bound value. I don't think that if n=2 l could equal 1, but it could equal 0 or 1.

Thank you so much for providing this chart! I saw it in the lecture but was unsure how to find it on my own.

I notice that on the side they provide images of the shapes (?) of the orbitals? Do they correspond to the n-values they are next to? If so, do the n-values sort of determine the dimension (ie 2-Dimensional, 3-Dimensional) of the orbitals?

The n-values correspond to the energy level. The l-values (angular momentum) describes the shape of an orbital. For example, if n = 3 then l can be 0 (s), 1 (p), 2 (d), all of which have different shapes. So the shape of the orbital depends on the angular momentum.

Hope this helps!

David Liu 1E

Postby David Liu 1E » Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:32 pm

it's always n-1, and I'm sure where in lecture he stated that, but it should only be for the 0 and 1 orbitals, and not the second!

AHUNT_1A

Postby AHUNT_1A » Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:01 pm

Sofia Lombardo 3F wrote:
LeanneBagood_2E wrote:

The n-values correspond to the energy level. The l-values (angular momentum) describes the shape of an orbital. For example, if n = 3 then l can be 0 (s), 1 (p), 2 (d), all of which have different shapes. So the shape of the orbital depends on the angular momentum.

Hope this helps!

Thank you so much. Extremely helpful

Return to “Wave Functions and s-, p-, d-, f- Orbitals”