Determining Spin in orbitals  [ENDORSED]

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

JakeSaum_1A

Determining Spin in orbitals

Postby JakeSaum_1A » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:03 pm

In the lecture, when prof. Lavelle was finished writing down the shell letters and numbers, he started drawing arrows. I noticed how he drew 3 up arrows before complementing them with down arrows. Why did he do this and how did he know how many arrows to put? Thanks.

Annika Tamaki 1E
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Determining Spin in orbitals

Postby Annika Tamaki 1E » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:08 pm

The number of arrows corresponds to the number of electrons. For example, if I had the configuration for Nitrogen, [He] 2s2 2p3, I would only put 3 arrows in the 2p level. I would only draw 3 uncomplemented arrows because it represents a more stable electron. You must fill all of the subshells first before adding the complementary electrons/arrows.

Ria Nawathe 1C
Been upvoted: 3 times

Re: Determining Spin in orbitals  [ENDORSED]

Postby Ria Nawathe 1C » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:11 pm

He drew 3 up-spin electrons first because according to Hund's Rule, electrons occupy empty orbitals in the same sub-shell before pairing up. As for why the up-spin electrons are drawn first, I think it just has to do with convention.

Emmeline Phu 1G
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Emmeline Phu 1G » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:15 pm

Hi! When drawing an electron configuration, the number of arrows corresponds to the number of electrons. The reason why he drew three up arrows before drawing down arrows is due to the Hund's rule in which due to e- repulsion, electrons in the same subshell occupy different orbitals with parallel spin (all up arrows) or in other words add parallel spins to different orbitals. Hope this helps! :)

Nadya Higgins 3F
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Nadya Higgins 3F » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:19 pm

In order for electrons to be more stable, they have to be further apart. They also must occupy the necessary amount of orbitals first corresponding to the number of electrons, shown by an up arrow (positive electron spin) before down arrows can be drawn. So you would draw all up arrows first in each occupied orbital of the subshell, and then draw any additional down arrows.

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 882 times

Postby Chem_Mod » Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:10 pm

Ria Nawathe 2B wrote:He drew 3 up-spin electrons first because according to Hund's Rule, electrons occupy empty orbitals in the same sub-shell before pairing up. As for why the up-spin electrons are drawn first, I think it just has to do with convention.

Good answer! Convention is is draw up spin electrons first, but you can draw all down spin first if you'd like.

Return to “Wave Functions and s-, p-, d-, f- Orbitals”