Schrodinger's Equation

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Evonne Hsu 1J

Schrodinger's Equation

Postby Evonne Hsu 1J » Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:48 pm

Do we need to know how to use Schrodinger's Equation on the upcoming midterm? Also, can someone please explain the theory behind Schrodinger's Equation and what it is used for? I'm a bit confused about it. Thank you!

Brandon Pham 1H
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Schrodinger's Equation

Postby Brandon Pham 1H » Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:29 pm

I doubt Schrodinger's Equation will be a heavily tested concept on our midterm. All you need to know is the underlying principle that solving the equation gives you a possible range of locations and momentums for a wave.

Samiha Molla 3G
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Samiha Molla 3G » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:25 pm

Dr. Lavelle mentioned in office hours to not worry too much about this for the midterm, as we are not expected to know any of the math behind it!

Samantha Pedersen 2K
Been upvoted: 9 times

Postby Samantha Pedersen 2K » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:34 pm

I believe the other answers are correct that we don't need to do any math using the Schrodinger Wave Function Equation for our midterm. I just wanted to add a little bit about the conceptual information behind the Schrodinger Wave Function Equation. The wave function is denoted by , and the wave function squared (denoted by ) represents the probability of finding an electron in certain areas of the atom. Each valid solution or valid wave function to the Schrodinger Wave Function Equation is called an orbital. This gives rise to the s orbital, p orbital, d orbital, and f orbitals as well as their respective shapes that we discussed in class. I hope this helps!

Return to “Wave Functions and s-, p-, d-, f- Orbitals”