m(sub)l and m(sub)s

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Madeline Marron 1I

m(sub)l and m(sub)s

Postby Madeline Marron 1I » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:16 pm

I've read over my notes but I still don't quite understand what m(sub)l and m(sub)s are, as well as how you figure out what they are for each specific orbital. If anyone has any knowledge on this I would greatly appreciate any help!

Nicole Attiq 3D

Re: m(sub)l and m(sub)s

Postby Nicole Attiq 3D » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:24 pm

ml refers to which orbital an electron will be placed in. For example, if ml=0 and you had a p orbital, _ _ _ , the electron would be found in the middle space. So, if a problem gives you ml and asks what can work for those values, the answer will always be 2 since that's the max an orbital can hold. Ms refers to the "spin" of an electron, AKA whether it spins up or down. Half of the electrons in any block will be +1/2 and the other half will be -1/2. If this is given to you along with the other three values, only one electron can have all four of them. I know my wording was kind of confusing but I hope this helped!

luludaly2B
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: m(sub)l and m(sub)s

Postby luludaly2B » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:36 pm

ml refers to the orientation in space of the orbital, while ms is the spin of the electron. Ms is always either +1/2 or -1/2, while ml can be l, l-1, ..., -l.

Return to “Wave Functions and s-, p-, d-, f- Orbitals”