shielding and penetrating

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Monica Soliman 3F

shielding and penetrating

Postby Monica Soliman 3F » Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:02 pm

Can someone explain shielding and penetrating in relation to L? How does it change if l increases or decreases?

Stuti Pradhan 2J
Been upvoted: 5 times

Re: shielding and penetrating

Postby Stuti Pradhan 2J » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:48 pm

Since the s orbital is around the nucleus, s electrons are able to shield outer electrons well. On the other hand, p orbitals have a node where the nucleus is, so they are not able to shield outer electrons well. I also believe that d orbital electrons are not able to shield electrons very well either.

In regards to l, the electrons are less successful in shielding as the value of l increases. This would also support the overall trend in effective nuclear charge increasing from left to right across the periodic table.

Hope this helps!

Chenning Yang Dis3l

Postby Chenning Yang Dis3l » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:29 am

Thank you for the information! It really helps!

SamayaJoshi1A

Postby SamayaJoshi1A » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:39 am

Also something to remember is that the effective nuclear charge is never proportional to the number of levels. For example if there is an electron in the second level, it does not have half the strength of the one in the first level. It all depends on other factors.

Joshua Eidam 2A

Postby Joshua Eidam 2A » Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:10 pm

Also I think it is important to notice that other electrons contribute to the shielding effect with the negative repulsion. I found this on a website and I thought it was helpful: "In hydrogen-like atoms, which have just one electron, the net force on the electron is as large as the electric attraction from the nucleus. However, when more electrons are involved, each electron (in the n-shell) feels not only the electromagnetic attraction from the positive nucleus but also repulsion forces from other electrons in shells from 1 to n-1."

https://courses.lumenlearning.com/intro ... ar-charge/

Hope this helps.

CesarLec1

Postby CesarLec1 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:16 pm

The electrons in the inner levels take the brunt of the nuclear charge and the e- in the outer shells feel less of the effect thus they can escape more easily.

Return to “Wave Functions and s-, p-, d-, f- Orbitals”