properties of electrons in different orbitals

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Sujin Lim 1H
Been upvoted: 2 times

properties of electrons in different orbitals

Postby Sujin Lim 1H » Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:34 pm

Could someone help with this learning objective: "Name and explain the relationship of each of the four s-, p-, and d-orbitals to the properties of electrons in these states."
I know how to differentiate between the four orbital shapes, but I'm not sure hot the properties of electrons differ from each of the four orbitals. Is if just that electrons have different energies depending on which orbital they're in? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Kayla Arellano 1K

Re: properties of electrons in different orbitals

Postby Kayla Arellano 1K » Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:43 pm

Sujin Lim 3H wrote:Could someone help with this learning objective: "Name and explain the relationship of each of the four s-, p-, and d-orbitals to the properties of electrons in these states."
I know how to differentiate between the four orbital shapes, but I'm not sure hot the properties of electrons differ from each of the four orbitals. Is if just that electrons have different energies depending on which orbital they're in? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

In each of these orbital states, the electrons differ by describing them by their principle quantum number (n), angular momentum quantum number (l), magnetic quantum number (ml), and spin magnetic quantum number (ms). No two electrons in the same atom have the same 4 quantum numbers. Depending on the values of the n, l, ml, and ms properties of the electrons, we can determine the relationship between the orbitals and if it's s, p, or d. I'm not sure if I quite answered your question, but I hope this helps.

Return to “Wave Functions and s-, p-, d-, f- Orbitals”