Symmetric vs Nodal planes

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Shreya Thyagarajan Dis1A

Symmetric vs Nodal planes

Postby Shreya Thyagarajan Dis1A » Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:19 pm

Hi,
I’m a bit confused on the difference between a symmetric plane and a nodal plane. I know that s orbitals are symmetric and the other ones are not, but I don’t understand why that is.

August_Blatney_1A

Re: Symmetric vs Nodal planes

Postby August_Blatney_1A » Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:26 pm

Nodal planes are areas with no electron density, meaning electrons are not present there. Because s-orbitals don't have nodal planes, the electrons in the orbital are distributed evenly throughout the orbital so they are symmetric because of its spherical shape. Orbitals with nodal planes are not symmetrical because there are areas where electrons don't exist. This creates the weird not symmetrical donut and oval like shapes of the orbitals.

Postby 005683006 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:30 pm

THe s orbital has a symmetrical nodal plane, as it is spherical. On the other hand, p orbitals have an asymmetrical nodal plane.

Jordan Kaplan 2E

Postby Jordan Kaplan 2E » Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:57 pm

I saw in another post someone thought of the symmetric vs non-symmetric as the distribution not the shapes themselves. In an s-orbital, the distribution of the electrons are symmetrical, but in p-,d-,and f-orbitals, the nodal plane causes the distrbution of the e- to be non-symmetrical.

Daryl Gall 1E

Postby Daryl Gall 1E » Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:29 pm

A nodal plane is a region where the probability of finding electrons is zero. We can think of symmetry as the distribution of electrons. S-orbitals do not have nodal planes, thus electrons can be found anywhere in the entire spherical region, making them symmetrical. However, other orbitals have nodal planes which separates the distribution of electrons, making them non-symetrical.

Ashley Wilson 2L

Postby Ashley Wilson 2L » Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:49 pm

The electron distribution on either side of a symmetric plane is equal. For example, an s-subshell has symmetrical electron distribution because dividing a sphere in any direction creates two symmetrical divisions. Nodal planes, however, represent an area where the electron density is zero; this means electrons can not exist within this plane.

Alyssa Cua 2J

Postby Alyssa Cua 2J » Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:37 pm

August_Blatney_1A wrote:Nodal planes are areas with no electron density, meaning electrons are not present there. Because s-orbitals don't have nodal planes, the electrons in the orbital are distributed evenly throughout the orbital so they are symmetric because of its spherical shape. Orbitals with nodal planes are not symmetrical because there are areas where electrons don't exist. This creates the weird not symmetrical donut and oval like shapes of the orbitals.

Thank you for explaining. This really helped me understand these concepts! :D

Return to “Wave Functions and s-, p-, d-, f- Orbitals”