Learning Objective  [ENDORSED]

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Samantha Loc 1B

Learning Objective

Postby Samantha Loc 1B » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:16 pm

Can someone explain what this learning objective entails: Describe the interpretation of atomic orbitals in terms of probability. I feel like the phrasing may be throwing me off a bit.

Adithi Ayyala 2G
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Learning Objective  [ENDORSED]

Postby Adithi Ayyala 2G » Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:32 am

Hello! So in class, we learned that while Bohr's model of the atom and electron shells is helpful in theory, it is not an exact system. Thus, we use Rydberg, Planck, Heisenberg, and Schrodinger's equations to better understand electrons, estimate what their velocities and positions are, and interpret the atomic orbitals and how they would appear in space. While these systems are more theoretical and complex, for the midterm, I would say focus on the mathematics side of it first, and the actual conceptual understanding will make more sense. I hope this helps!

Katie Shi 1F
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Learning Objective

Postby Katie Shi 1F » Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:14 pm

Though I am not 100% sure I think this could be related to Schrodinger's Equation. In class, we learned different wave functions, ψ, represent different orbitals with quantum numbers n, l, and m. Furthermore, ψ^2 represents the probability of finding an e- (density distribution) for that orbital.

Return to “Wave Functions and s-, p-, d-, f- Orbitals”