Nodal Planes

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Rohita Thammineni 2D

Nodal Planes

Postby Rohita Thammineni 2D » Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:29 pm

Hi! Can someone explain how nodal planes come about? I know they're areas in an orbital with no electron density, but how exactly are these nodal planes positioned and why do they exist in the first place? Do different subshells have different numbers of nodal planes?

Yuzhe Yuan
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Nodal Planes

Postby Yuzhe Yuan » Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:58 pm

Hi,

The probability density of the electron (the shape of the orbitals) is calculated from the Schrodinger Function. s orbitals don't have nodal planes, p, d, f orbitals have different numbers of nodal planes.

Darren Apostol 2L
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Darren Apostol 2L » Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:35 pm

Schrodinger's wave equation allows us to solve for the wave functions of electrons which describe their wave-like nature. Waves, standing waves in particular, have things called "nodes" which have zero amplitude. The square of a wave function (which gives amplitude) is proportional to the probability of finding the particle, but if amplitude is zero, probability is zero. Nodal planes reflect this, hence the "node" in their name.

Samantha Melin 2E

Postby Samantha Melin 2E » Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:05 pm

Can we use nodal planes to describe the wavelike nature of an electron?

Daryl Gall 1E

Postby Daryl Gall 1E » Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:03 pm

I believe nodal planes exist because of the wavelike nature of electrons (as seen using Schrodinger's wave equation). Therefore, I would think these two variables go hand in hand, and each could be used to describe the other.

Return to “Wave Functions and s-, p-, d-, f- Orbitals”