Achieve Homework Week 2 #16

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Isabella Perez Dis3L

Achieve Homework Week 2 #16

Postby Isabella Perez Dis3L » Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:11 pm

Hello, could someone explain the reasoning behind the answers for question #16, " Atom with a circular electron orbit cut at one point. The cut orbit is displayed as a single, straight line below the atom.Classify the wave patterns according to whether or not they are compatible with de Broglie's description of the allowed Bohr orbits of the hydrogen atom." Thank you!

Autessa Anoosheh 3E

Re: Achieve Homework Week 2 #16

Postby Autessa Anoosheh 3E » Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:27 pm

From what I understand, it's asking for the wave that is continuous, meaning putting the two ends together would make a proper circle, and uniform, so constant wavelength and amplitude. Hope this helps!

Irene Kang 3F
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Irene Kang 3F » Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:28 pm

For this question, you just have to make sure the waves are equal and that the ends can continue. If the start of the wave was from the middle line but the wave ends at the top of the wave(crest) or the bottom(trough), then if we were to connect the ends there would be a gap. This is not a compatible wave. Imagine connecting the ends of the waves and if they can continue with the waves going equally up and down with equal spacing, then it is compatible.

Postby 905756606 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:29 pm

Hi! The conceptual understanding behind this question involves De Broglie's suggestion that electrons are in orbits of certain wave patterns. Specifically, he describes these wave patterns can 'close in on themselves' which essentially means the two ends of the waves can be rejoined to form a continuous wave. Secondly, the circumference of each orbit (which is represented by the single straight line in Q16's images), must be made up of a whole number of complete wave lengths. I hope this helps!

Rio Gagnon 1G

Postby Rio Gagnon 1G » Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:40 pm

All you have to do is make sure the waves are symmetric (constant wavelength and amplitude), and make sure there is a whole number of waves present (ends must match up).

Daryl Gall 1E

Postby Daryl Gall 1E » Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:14 pm

To visualize this I pictured what Dr. Lavelle drew on the board in one of his previous lectures, where electrons move around the nucleus in a wave-like pattern. I then just pictured cutting this wave anywhere in the pattern, and could easily visualize why the two ends of the wave had to connect. I'll include a link to a picture of what I'm referring to below.

https://www.google.com/search?q=electro ... a2u-3hCa6M

Return to “Wave Functions and s-, p-, d-, f- Orbitals”