Achieve 2 Question 16

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

KDeguzman_Dis3K

Achieve 2 Question 16

Postby KDeguzman_Dis3K » Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:10 am

For the question on Achieve regarding which wave patterns are compatible with De Broglie's description of the allowed Bohr orbits of the hydrogen atom, I know that the frequency and amplitude need to be constant, and that there must be a whole number of cycles. (Below is an attachment of my answer).

I am confused because I would think that the wave patterns I put in the Compatible section satisfy those requirements. What makes these patterns incompatible, and which patterns are compatible, then?
Attachments
wavepatterns.pdf
(276.5 KiB) Downloaded 21 times

Lauren Woodward 1I

Re: Achieve 2 Question 16

Postby Lauren Woodward 1I » Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:13 am

The first image on the left has a constant amplitude and wavelength, as well as a complete number of cycles, so it should be moved to the right. The image on the bottom right has a constant amplitude and wavelength, but the number of cycles is not complete. For one cycle, the graph must reach its minimum and its maximum, and return to where it started. So that image has 4.5 cycles.

Kelly Bui 2I

Re: Achieve 2 Question 16

Postby Kelly Bui 2I » Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:29 pm

It would help to see whether the waves look consistent and if the start and end of the wave are able to be attached if you were to introduce the same wave.

For example, the top left wave should be compatible because the wave is consistent and the start of the wave could be attached to the end.
However, the bottom right wave should not be compatible because even though it looks consistent, the start of the wave could not be attached to the end.

Return to “Wave Functions and s-, p-, d-, f- Orbitals”