Quantum Number ml

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Tracy Tran 3L

Quantum Number ml

Postby Tracy Tran 3L » Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:22 am

I don't understand what ml means in terms of quantum numbers, would someone be able to explain to me? I know that l=0 is 1 orbital and so on, but I don't know what ml means in general

Chance Lee 1G

Re: Quantum Number ml

Postby Chance Lee 1G » Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:51 am

The quantum number ml stands for the magnetic quantum number. The magnetic quantum number helps determine an orbital's orientation. In particular, the values for ml are -l to l, which can be helpful in determining the number of orientations a certain orbital has. For example, if l=2, then the possible values for ml are -2 to 2. This is -2, -1, 0, 1, 2, which when counted equals 5.

Janice Hu 2L
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Janice Hu 2L » Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:38 am

ml, or the magnetic quantum number, tells the orientation of an orbital in space. This number is assigned to every orbital in a subshell, and it ranges from -l to l.
Example:
subshell 3p => have: 3 orbitals => (l = 1) => magnetic quantum numbers: -1, 0, 1 => we have 3 ml numbers, and each is assigned to an orbital :)

Mona Reddy Kurra 1J
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Mona Reddy Kurra 1J » Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:23 am

Hi! The magnetic quantum number, ml, specifies which orbital an electron is a part of. While n describes the shell and l describes the subshell, ml refers to which of the orbitals in a subshell that an electron occupies. Another point to note may be that ml is based on energy as we are trying to get net zero energy across the board to balance charges of electrons in the orbital. I hope that helps!

Chris Van 2J

Postby Chris Van 2J » Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:44 pm

ml is the magnetic quantum number where the range can be from -l to l. l = angular momentum number where it tells you which subshell the electrons are in (s, p, d, f).

Jieun 2C

Postby Jieun 2C » Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:23 am

Ml is the magnetic quantum number and it specifies which orbital the electron is in and the orientation.

Charlie Gravereaux

Postby Charlie Gravereaux » Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:53 pm

The quantum number ml is the magnetic quantum number. This gives the exact location of the electron within its subshell, or gives the electron an exact orbital that it is filling. For example, for the p subshell, there are 3 orbitals: Px, Py, and Pz. This leaves 3 different possibilities for the ml quantum number (since it refers to which orbital), and this is described using 1, 0, and -1 (each refers to a different orbital). This same concept is applied for the other sub shells.

Ana Luiza S

Postby Ana Luiza S » Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:24 pm

The quantum number ml labels the different orbitals in a subshell. So for the p sublevel, there are 3 different orbitals, meaning there are 3 different values of ml for the p sublevel. And then 5 for the d shells, and so on.

Nomi Heidari-Bateni 2K

Postby Nomi Heidari-Bateni 2K » Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:52 pm

ml is the magnetic quantum number, which can range from -l to l and it labels each orbital in one subshell (for example, it defines the difference between px, py, and pz). It helps us get more specific in which electron we are identifying.

Return to “Quantum Numbers and The H-Atom”