electron configuration

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Angelina Tran 2F

electron configuration

Postby Angelina Tran 2F » Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:17 pm

HI!

I'm confused when drawing the electron configuration models. I know that Aufbau's principle states that you must pair up all the lower orbitals before the higher ones but then hunds rules says that all orbital needs a single before a pair. So then thats kind of contricting or maybe I'm missing a key detail that makes it make sense? Help

Upaush Sharma

Re: electron configuration

Postby Upaush Sharma » Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:24 pm

To draw a model, you first wanna draw out all of your orbitals for the given subshell. Then you start to fill up those orbitals one at a time until every orbital has one electron. Once, every orbital has one electron only then can you start pairing the electrons in each orbital. Hope that helps!

Postby 306020260 » Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:41 pm

Aufbau's Principle actually states that you need to fill the lowest subshell before the higher subshells, not orbitals. Therefore Hund's rule still makes sense because multiple orbitals can be under the same subshell. For example, with subshell P there are 3 orbitals, so each orbital must have an electron before it has a pair and P must be fully filled before moving to a higher subshell.

Daniel P 3J

Postby Daniel P 3J » Tue Dec 05, 2023 12:05 am

Aufbau's principle dictates the order in which different orbitals are filled based on energy levels and subshells, while Hund's rule guides the filling of multiple orbitals within the same subshell by adding electrons singly before pairing them up. Together, they provide a consistent approach to electron configurations.

Return to “Quantum Numbers and The H-Atom”