Trouble on a question I seen on the internet relating to this topic we learned in class!

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

JasonNovik3A

Trouble on a question I seen on the internet relating to this topic we learned in class!

Postby JasonNovik3A » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:38 pm

Hi, I'm doing extra practice through random questions online. One of them was ..

"Which metal ions are predicted to have this ground state electron configuration"
(Ar)3d104s2

How do I do this? Can someone explain please??!?!

Hammad Khan 2B
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Trouble on a question I seen on the internet relating to this topic we learned in class!

Postby Hammad Khan 2B » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:31 am

You would first go to Ar which is Argon and continue on from there. Then we use 3d10 which references to the d-orbital part of the periodic table and tells us to go to the 10th element on that row which is Zinc. Then it also as 4s2 which tells us to go to the 4th s-orbital row and the second element there which is Calcium. Basically, we go to the element in the brackets first. Then we go through the various orbitals such as s,p,d and then find the element that is in the configuration its asking for.

Nhan Nguyen 2F
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Trouble on a question I seen on the internet relating to this topic we learned in class!

Postby Nhan Nguyen 2F » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:43 am

Hi,
I have a different answer for this problem.
1) So I started with Argon since it was in brackets []
2) the next configuration is 3d10, so I counted 10 elements after Argon--> landed on Nickel
3) the last configuration is 4s2, so I counted 2 more after Ni --> landed on Zinc

So zinc is my answer

Mishta Stanislaus 1H

Postby Mishta Stanislaus 1H » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:19 pm

Hello, just to clear up any confusion I believe the answer above is the correct one, Zinc, as opposed to the previous answer because the 3d orbital is listed first but the 4s must be filled first.

Return to “Quantum Numbers and The H-Atom”