Electron configuration fo Ag+

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Biomajor

Electron configuration fo Ag+

Postby Biomajor » Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:55 pm

I thought I had my electron configuration perfectly down until this. Someone please explain to me how Ag+ gets an electron configuration of (Kr) 4d10. Ag without a charge is 4d9,5s2. Why would losing an electron make it 4d10? Is it because instead of having a charge of 5s1, it would rather just add that to the d state and not have a 5s orbital or what?

Robert

Re: Electron configuration fo Ag+

Postby Robert » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:04 pm

Answer:
Silver (Ag) has an electron configuration of [Kr] 4d105s1. The element is much more stable and has a lower energy when the 4d orbital is filled, so one electron is placed there, rather than in the 5s orbital. When it is ionized, the electron is removed from the outermost shell, which is the 5s orbital. So the electron configuration for Ag+ becomes [Kr] 4d10.

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 367 times

Re: Electron configuration fo Ag+

Postby Chem_Mod » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:10 pm

Recall that, similar to copper, silver has a ground state electron configuration that violates the typical Aufbau (Building-Up) guidelines.

Cu: [Ar]3d104s1
Instead of the expected configuration according to Aufbau guidlines which would be,
Cu: [Ar]3d94s2

This is because a full or half-filled subshell is more stable than a partially-filled subshell. The full 3d subshell and half-filled 4s subshell is thus a more stable configuration than a partially-filled 3d subshell and a full 4s subshell.

Therefore, when silver loses an electron to form the Ag+ cation, it does so based on the neutral ground state configuration,
Ag: [Kr]4d105s1

Since the electron in the valence subshell 5s will be lost upon ionization, this results in
Ag+: [Kr]4d10

Return to “Quantum Numbers and The H-Atom”