Energy levels and Orbitals

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

paulacamara1E

Energy levels and Orbitals

Postby paulacamara1E » Tue May 01, 2018 3:51 pm

This might be a simple question but I am having a really hard time differentiation energy levels and orbitals. When I say energy levels I mean what we studied for test 2, like n=2 or n=1 (Balmer and Lyman series material). How do orbitals (s, p, d and f) connect back to that?

octaviahuang1f

Re: Energy levels and Orbitals

Postby octaviahuang1f » Tue May 01, 2018 4:24 pm

Hi,
I believe what the series describe are Principle quantum numbers(n), or shells as it's usually called. Shells determine the energy levels. Angular momentum quantum number(l) describes the orbital/shape of the subshells (I=0,1,2,3 corresponding to s,p,d,f), and each shell can contain several subshells with a maximum l=n-1.

BriannaParrington-1B

Postby BriannaParrington-1B » Sat May 05, 2018 8:13 pm

octaviahuang1f wrote:Hi,
I believe what the series describe are Principle quantum numbers(n), or shells as it's usually called. Shells determine the energy levels. Angular momentum quantum number(l) describes the orbital/shape of the subshells (I=0,1,2,3 corresponding to s,p,d,f), and each shell can contain several subshells with a maximum l=n-1.

How do shells determine the energy levels?

Jonathan Marcial Dis 1K

Postby Jonathan Marcial Dis 1K » Sat May 05, 2018 10:30 pm

The principal quantum number specifies the energy of an orbital in a one-electron atom. In such a scenario all orbitals with the same value of the principal quantum number, n, have the same energy and hence belong to the same shell of an atom.

Return to “Quantum Numbers and The H-Atom”