"ms" Quantum Number  [ENDORSED]

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Jose Lupian 1C

"ms" Quantum Number

Postby Jose Lupian 1C » Sun May 06, 2018 11:26 pm

I know that the quantum number "ms" stands for the electronic spin, which is ±1/2. I just wanted to know what specific examples this concept would be applied towards because I don't think we have covered an example dealing with the "ms" quantum number.

Luis Torres 1C

Re: "ms" Quantum Number

Postby Luis Torres 1C » Sun May 06, 2018 11:41 pm

From questions I have seen, one important use of this concept is when a question asks "how many electrons are possible given the following quantum numbers?". An example of this is on another question that I think could help demonstrate how these questions are asked.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=31360

Gabi Landes 1-H

Re: "ms" Quantum Number  [ENDORSED]

Postby Gabi Landes 1-H » Sun May 06, 2018 11:56 pm

I believe if the question gives you all quantum four numbers (the Principal Quantum Number "n", Orbital Angular Momentum Quantum Number "l", Magnetic Quantum Number "ml" and Electron Spin Quantum Number "ms") then only 1 electron can be in that exact state. Because "In chemistry, an electron pair or a Lewis pair consists of two electrons that occupy the same molecular orbital but have opposite spins" so on the other hand if "ms" is not given, 2 electrons could theoretically be in that orbital.

Return to “Quantum Numbers and The H-Atom”