4th Quantum Number  [ENDORSED]

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

kevinav

4th Quantum Number

Postby kevinav » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:36 pm

Can somebody explain the concept behind the 4th quantum number? As in, what exactly are the terms magnetic spin, spin up, and spin down?

Caitlin_Murphy_3C

Re: 4th Quantum Number  [ENDORSED]

Postby Caitlin_Murphy_3C » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:53 pm

in the Stern and Genach Experiment, a beam of silver atoms was passed through a magnetic field. The results showed that the beam interacted with the magnetic field, because it split into two beams after it passed through. This means that 1 unpaired electron can have two different "spin states"; half spin up and half spin down. so basically, the fourth quantum number is either +1/2 or -1/2.

A "spin state" and "magnetic spin" just refers to whether or not the spin is positive or negative (up or down).

"spin up" and "spin down" just refers to whether or not this fourth quantum number of 1/2 is positive or negative. As seen in the experiment, the beam split into two beams with "spin up" electrons going in the upper beam, and "spin down" electrons going in the lower beam.

This was my understanding of the concept, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong! Hope this helps:)

Return to “Quantum Numbers and The H-Atom”