Assigning Quantum Numbers to Different Elements

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Anna O 2C

Assigning Quantum Numbers to Different Elements

Postby Anna O 2C » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:52 pm

I'm struggling to clarify how to utilize ml and ms for quantum numbers. I understand that n is the period of the element, and that l is for the orbital the valence electrons, but I'm not sure on the concept behind the ml and ms as well as the numbers when an element is in the d-block.
Say for example Chromium (period 4).
N=4 because it is in period 4 (or is it 3 because the d-orbital is technically 3d?)
l=2 because it is in the d-block
ml can be -2,-1,0,1,2 (Can we figure this out or can we only know the range?)
ms can be either -1/2 or +1/2

Thanks!

klarratt2

Re: Assigning Quantum Numbers to Different Elements

Postby klarratt2 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:13 pm

ml is the magnetic quantum number. This just tells you which orbital the electron is in. For example, an electron in chromium could either be in the -2, -1, 0, 1, or 2 orbital.

ms is spin magnetic quantum number. This tells you whether the electron has up spin or down spin (the two electrons in an orbital will have opposite spins; one will be up and one will be down).

I'm not sure if there is a way to find out the specific ml value of an electron. Each number in the range is just a possibility for what orbital the electron could be found in.

Sorry that this doesn't fully answer the question but I hope it helps!

Anna O 2C

Re: Assigning Quantum Numbers to Different Elements

Postby Anna O 2C » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:08 pm

klarratt2 wrote:ml is the magnetic quantum number. This just tells you which orbital the electron is in. For example, an electron in chromium could either be in the -2, -1, 0, 1, or 2 orbital.

ms is spin magnetic quantum number. This tells you whether the electron has up spin or down spin (the two electrons in an orbital will have opposite spins; one will be up and one will be down).

I'm not sure if there is a way to find out the specific ml value of an electron. Each number in the range is just a possibility for what orbital the electron could be found in.

Sorry that this doesn't fully answer the question but I hope it helps!

This definitely cleared up some things for me regarding the ml values. Thank you!!

Return to “Quantum Numbers and The H-Atom”