Electrons Spinning???

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Frederick Keith_4C

Electrons Spinning???

Postby Frederick Keith_4C » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:38 am

I've heard that electrons don't really spin and that the spin number has nothing to do with actual physical spinning, so if they aren't then what exactly are they doing???
Sure they spin around axes and such, but are they going around in clockwise and counterclockwise directions?
Someone please explain :/

Mariepahos4D

Re: Electrons Spinning???

Postby Mariepahos4D » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:45 am

Electrons do spin which is why there is the spin up and spin down models. But I do believe Lavelle said the spin isn’t necesarilly clockwise and counter clockwise which is why he just calls it spin up and spin down, but they do spin in opposite directions .

vpena_1I

Postby vpena_1I » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:52 am

I'm pretty sure you're correct. The spin magnetic quantum number describes the momentum of the electrons. This has direction (+ or -) and magnitude (1/2). Based on this definition, the electrons will spin around an axes in opposite directions, though, I've heard the same that it's not really that simple. I think that for the purpose of this course, you're fine with just understanding this definition.
Hope this helps.

Anokhi Patel 2B

Postby Anokhi Patel 2B » Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:58 pm

Electron spin is one of the two types of angular momentum in quantum mechanics and the other is orbital angular momentum. The electron's spin is a fixed, unvarying property such as charge and rest mass.

Return to “Quantum Numbers and The H-Atom”