Reading the Balmer and Lyman series model

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Kaylee Nezwek_2G

Reading the Balmer and Lyman series model

Postby Kaylee Nezwek_2G » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:32 pm

could someone explain how to read the Balmer and Lyman series model? I know Balmer series is for the visible region and Lyman is for the UV region but I'm a bit confused on what the lines mean for application and how to use the model to interpret the emission spectrum for H... is it solely used for the purposes of showing that there are different groups of spectral lines for H, or is the model also used to problem solve?

IanWheeler3F

Re: Reading the Balmer and Lyman series model

Postby IanWheeler3F » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:53 pm

if youre talking abt the model with the lines like n=1, n=2, etc then to read it you have to pay attention to the distance between the levels of n, its confusing but the distance between each level is not constant so the distance between n=1 and n=2 is much larger than the distance from n=3 to n=4, longer distances mean more energy and therefore a high frequency since E = hv. As for application, the spectral lines are mostly used to prove and demonstrate that the distances between levels of n are not constant and to show quantum behavior since you see lines grouped together, corresponding to many different energy jumps and frequencies all over the spectrum. I'm not really sure about problem solving since this model is very limited in application, the most this model can be used is really in prediction of the quantum behaviors of hydrogen.

reva_bajjuri

Postby reva_bajjuri » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:05 pm

^^they explained the significance of the spectral lines really well but i also think its important to note that the dark lines mark the transition energies for electrons to move between energy levels

Kaylee Nezwek_2G

Postby Kaylee Nezwek_2G » Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:14 pm

Ahh I see thank you guys so much that's extremely helpful!

Return to “Quantum Numbers and The H-Atom”