Quantum numbers

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

SamanthaTolentino 3D

Quantum numbers

Postby SamanthaTolentino 3D » Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:33 pm

If ml = l,(1-1), -l how would we figure out the true value of ml. In Friday's lecture, Professor Lavelle gave the example of n=2 therefore l=1 and ml =-1. However, he stated that ml could be 3 different values. How would we specify which value of ml we should take?

darchen3G

Re: Quantum numbers

Postby darchen3G » Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:20 pm

You don't "take" a specific value. ml can be any value from -l to l, so in the example n=2 and l=1 ml can be -1, 0, or 1.

Nika Gladkov 1A
Been upvoted: 5 times

Postby Nika Gladkov 1A » Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:22 pm

I believe that refers to the specific orbital that the electron is in. The values that it can take are: -l, ...-1, 0, 1, ...l. For n=2, the values are -1, 0, and 1. Thus, the electrons could occupy orbitals within the p subshell with the number -1.0 or 1. I'm not sure how you would determine the exact ml value for the electron if you are just given the quantum numbers, but if you have an electron diagram, you could count the orbitals on which your electron is placed in order to determine ml. Additionally, if you are given the orbital names, you can figure out the ml numbers from the subscript. For example, if you know that your subshell is p, you can choose pz to be zero, and then, basing off of that, you can assign px to be -1 and py to be 1 and vice versa.

Hope this helps!

Aydin Karatas 1F

Postby Aydin Karatas 1F » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:32 pm

refers to different orientation that subshells can have (e.g. ). When filling electrons in an electron configuration, there really is no designation for whether =1 refers to , , or . I would personally go x, y, then z but so long as you are consistent within your own work, you should be fine.

!ƨqlɘʜ ƨiʜɈ ɘqoH

Return to “Quantum Numbers and The H-Atom”