How many electrons in an atom could have these sets of quantum numbers?

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

SamanthaTolentino 3D

Postby SamanthaTolentino 3D » Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:14 pm

n=7,l=1,ml=-1

I know that it is in 7p which would have at most 6 electrons. How would I factor the ml value to find how many electrons are in this set of quantum numbers.

Lisa Seidl 3H
Been upvoted: 2 times

Re: How many electrons in an atom could have these sets of quantum numbers?

Postby Lisa Seidl 3H » Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:26 pm

Hi!
So n=7 and l=1 means this element is in the 7p subshell and has 6 possible electrons, like you said. However, the ml value is significant, because for the p-subshell there are 3 possible orbitals (-1,0 and +1) This means that since the ml value can only be +1, there is only one possibly orbital that the electrons could be in, meaning the answer would be 2 electrons.

Kamille Kibria 2A

Postby Kamille Kibria 2A » Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:23 pm

since the ml value is given already and no two electrons can have all 4 quantum #s the same, you find out that there are actually only two possible electrons that could have these three quantum numbers. the ml value simplifies things a lot because they have chosen it for you instead of you having to figure out if it was 1,0, or -1 given by the l value. there would only be two possible electrons because you have to remember the spin values (ms) which could either be +1/2 or -1/2. i think a good method to finding how many electrons could have a set of quantum numbers is to make a tree diagram.

Lorraine Jiang 2C

Postby Lorraine Jiang 2C » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:29 am

Hi! When ml is given we can basically just look at that and only 2 electrons can occupy an orbital so the answer will be 2. Hope it helps!

Return to “Quantum Numbers and The H-Atom”