ml in quantum numbers

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

SamayaJoshi1A

ml in quantum numbers

Postby SamayaJoshi1A » Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:02 pm

Can someone explain to me what the ML quantum number is referring to and how it related to the spin of the electron.

Thanks!

Nayra Gharpetian 3F
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: ml in quantum numbers

Postby Nayra Gharpetian 3F » Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:09 pm

Hi ml is referring to the orientation of the angular momentum, (like px, py, pz). Each orientation also refers to an orbital in a subshell. For example, px may refer to the first orbital of the p block. This relates to the spin of an electron because since there are two electrons in each orbital, each electron will either be spin up or spin down. I'm not sure if that made sense and please feel free to correct me if i made any mistakes :)

Ashley Ko 3I

Postby Ashley Ko 3I » Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:13 pm

Hi! So, the quantum number, ml, refers to a specific orbital. It is related to l in that the range of ml is -l to +l. For example, if l = 2, then the ml can be -2, -1, 0. +1, or +2 (this makes sense since l = 2 refers to the d-subshell, which has 5 orbitals). As for electron spin, every orbital has a maximum of 2 electrons that have opposite spins. For instance, one electron is +1/2 and the other electron is -1/2. Hope this helps!

Gina Spagarino 3G
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Gina Spagarino 3G » Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:07 pm

ms gives further specification to an electron with a specific ml. So, 2 electrons can have the same n,l, and ml [so same first 3 quantum numbers], but only one electron can have an ms of +1/2, and one electron can have an ms of -1/2. With ms as the fourth quantum number, no electrons have the same 4 quantum numbers.

Return to “Quantum Numbers and The H-Atom”