Energy Between Subshells

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Arezo Ahmadi 3J
Been upvoted: 2 times

Energy Between Subshells

Postby Arezo Ahmadi 3J » Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:54 pm

I was wondering if the energy between subshells, such as going from the 2s-orbital to the 2p-orbital, increases, decreases, or stays the same. I know that the energy between shells such as from the 2p-orbital to the 3s-orbital, but what happens when you stay within the same shell? I am wondering about the changes that happen as a result of adding more electrons and orbitals in a shell. Thank you!

Andrew Jubintoro 3J
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Energy Between Subshells

Postby Andrew Jubintoro 3J » Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:01 pm

I think the energy of the subshell increases as you go from s to p to d when they are in the same shell. I say this because if I am not wrong, the s orbital is closer to the nucleus than the p orbital which is also closer than the d orbital. And the closer the orbital is to the nucleus, the stronger the attraction that the electron experiences making it have less energy.

Samuel Flores 1E

Re: Energy Between Subshells

Postby Samuel Flores 1E » Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:19 pm

Hello! As the "l" quantum number increases (aka as you progress from s → p → d → f ...), the energy of these subshells will increase. In other words, as you fill the sub shells within a given shell, the energy will increase from s → p → d → f and so forth.

You can observe this trend through the periodic table, where we first fill the s subshell within a given shell, because it has the lowest energy. Then you fill the p subshell, and so forth.

Hope this helps!

Return to “Quantum Numbers and The H-Atom”