How do they know that ml quantum number is half that of the # of elements in its respective block?

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Cassidy Cheng 1J

How do they know that ml quantum number is half that of the # of elements in its respective block?

Postby Cassidy Cheng 1J » Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:01 pm

For example, in the p block, there's 6 elements and it has 3 orbitals. I understand that there's 2 electrons per orbital and so that's why they add up to be 6 electrons (1 extra electron for each element as you go from left to right in the p block), but how did they know that the ml quantum number has 3 orbitals for the p block? Did they find out just based on experimental data and realized that it matched the 6 elements in the p block? Thanks in advance!

Claire_Kim_2F

Re: How do they know that ml quantum number is half that of the # of elements in its respective block?

Postby Claire_Kim_2F » Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:06 pm

I do not think we need to know this but I do assume it is from experiments that they realized that.

SavannahScriven_1F

Re: How do they know that ml quantum number is half that of the # of elements in its respective block?

Postby SavannahScriven_1F » Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:07 pm

They knew ml had 3 orbitals for the p block because ml gives the orientation of the p shape. The p shape is a 3D figure with 2 lobes (like a 3D infinity sign). This 3D shape can be arranged along the x plane, the y plane, or the z plane. This gives rise to px, py, and pz. Each of these is an orbital.
So in short, they knew it was 3 because they observed 3 possible orientations(ml).

Return to “Quantum Numbers and The H-Atom”