Homework 1D.13

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

EmilyGillen_1A
Been upvoted: 1 time

Homework 1D.13

Postby EmilyGillen_1A » Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:46 pm

Hi there! I am going through and am just struggling to really understand the concepts behind problem 13. I know this is a basic concept, but I think I am overthinking things and just having a struggling to understand. If someone could explain how they did this problem/their logic behind it that would be amazing! Thank you.

1D.13 (a) How many values of the quantum number l are possible when n=7? (b) How many values of ml are allowed for an electron in a 6d-subshell? (c) How many values of ml are allowed for an electron in a 3p-subshell? (d) How many subshells are there in the shell with n=4?

annabelchen2a

Re: Homework 1D.13

Postby annabelchen2a » Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:46 pm

Hi!
a) The rule is l can have any value from 0 to n-1. So given that n=7, l can be any value ranging from 0 to 6.
b) For a 6d sub shell, we know n=6 and l=2 (because the electron is in the d-orbital), which tells us that ml can have a value of anywhere from -2 to 2 (so -2, -1, 0, 1, 2).
c) The electron we're given is in the p-orbital, so we know the value of l is going to be 1, and therefore, the possible values of ml are -1, 0, and 1.
d) We're being asked the number of sub shells in a shell with n=4 - so we know there's 4s, 4p, 4d, and 4f - 4 sub shells. Another way of thinking of this is finding the value of l: so for n=4 l can be 0, 1, 2, or 3, so the total number of sub shells possible are 4.
Hopefully that made some sense, and if I made any mistakes feel free to correct me!

Return to “Quantum Numbers and The H-Atom”