Outline 2 - properties of electrons

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Megan Singer 3D
Been upvoted: 1 time

Outline 2 - properties of electrons

Postby Megan Singer 3D » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:55 am

Dr. Lavelle's Outline 2 asks us to

Name and explain the relationship of each of the four s-, p-, and d-orbitals to the properties of
electrons in these states.

All I can think of to answer this is that electrons in the s subshell penetrate the nucleus and therefore have more shielding power. Likewise, p electrons are closer to the nucleus than d electrons, and thus p electrons have more shielding power than d electrons. Is this all we have to know, or am I missing something?

Bethany Yang 2E
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Outline 2 - properties of electrons

Postby Bethany Yang 2E » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:20 am

Hmm I think you should be correct in terms of properties. I think it would probably be important as well to know the relationship between how many orbitals are in the s,p,d, and f to the number of electrons each can carry, such as if there are unpaired electrons, etc.

Wasila Sun 2I
Been upvoted: 3 times

Re: Outline 2 - properties of electrons

Postby Wasila Sun 2I » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:49 am

In my lecture notes from October 28 (the lecture about electron configuration and the atomic properties), I have written down that s block elements have low ionization atoms and form cations. P block tends to gain electrons to form complete shells, greater electron affinity. For d- block I wrote that all of these elements are metals so they form cations with various oxidation numbers. I'm pretty sure that's all he meant by that, and all of those properties in relation to electrons can be figured out with the periodic table and knowing those trends.

Return to “Quantum Numbers and The H-Atom”