probabilty of finding e- in a location

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

emmaferry2D

probabilty of finding e- in a location

Postby emmaferry2D » Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:25 am

I am going over the Quantum section in the book and there are some formulas having to do with calculating the probability of finding a Hydrogen atom in a given region and was wondering if anyone knew if we needed to do this on the final? I dont remember having to do any problems like this on the first midterm

Andrew Jubintoro 3J
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: probabilty of finding e- in a location

Postby Andrew Jubintoro 3J » Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:37 am

I don't think that will be included since we only covered the topic conceptually and did not do any calculations about wavefunctions.

Ria Nawathe 1C
Been upvoted: 3 times

Postby Ria Nawathe 1C » Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:59 am

^^ Yeah we only did conceptual stuff, we don't need to know how to calculate the exact probability. However, it might be helpful to know how many nodes (areas with 0 probability of electron density) each subshell in an atom has. The total number of nodes in a subshell = n-1, # of angular nodes = l, # of radial nodes = n-1-l. Hope this helps!

James Patanian 2C

Postby James Patanian 2C » Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:08 am

At the most maybe we'd need to look at the visual representation of the s, p, d orbitals and describe where the electron density, or lack thereof is. I don't see how it could be worded as a problem though.

Crystal Hsueh 2L

Postby Crystal Hsueh 2L » Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:13 pm

I believe we only have to understand it conceptually, such as how the probability of of finding an electron at a node is zero. I got a question on my midterm about the relationship between the probability of finding an electron in respect to the wavefunction so I think that would be the extent of what we'd be asked.

Massimo_Capozza_1G

Postby Massimo_Capozza_1G » Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:21 pm

I'm assuming we won't have to do any calculations, but I would definitely review orbitals and their shapes.

Hannah Rim 2D

Postby Hannah Rim 2D » Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:46 pm

I don't think we will have to know how to calculate the exact probability of finding atoms in a region for the final. I think the focus will be on understanding conceptually through the shapes of orbitals. Hope this helps!

Return to “Quantum Numbers and The H-Atom”