Question 1E.1 from the Practice Problems

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Sydney Rohan 3G

Question 1E.1 from the Practice Problems

Postby Sydney Rohan 3G » Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:09 pm

I am stuck on Question 1E.1 from the Practice Problems

Which of the following increase when an electron in a lithium atom undergoes a transition from the 1s-orbital to a 2p-orbital? (a) Energy of the electron. (b) Value of n. (c) Value of l. (d) Radius of the atom. Which answers would be different for a hydrogen atom and in what way would they be different?

I know that the energy of the electron would increase, the value of n would increase, the value of l would increase and the radius of the atoms would increase. But I am confused about how the answers would differ across different elements.

Praveena Ratnavel - 1A
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Question 1E.1 from the Practice Problems

Postby Praveena Ratnavel - 1A » Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:01 pm

The answers would be the same for a hydrogen atom, since for a-c we are only looking at the one electron that is jumping orbitals. Assuming that the electron is being excited to a state higher than the valence shell, (d) would also always increase.

Kiku Shirakata 2A

Re: Question 1E.1 from the Practice Problems

Postby Kiku Shirakata 2A » Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:39 pm

Hello,
If this described scenario was in a hydrogen atom, the energy of the electron, value of n, value of l, and the radius of the atom all increases just as it does for an electron in a lithium atom that undergoes a transition from the 1s-orbital to a 2p-orbital. To explain one characteristic, the radius of the atom increases, in general, as n increases because the electrons moves farther away from the nucleus of the atom as they are in a higher energy state.

Return to “Quantum Numbers and The H-Atom”