Achieve #9  [ENDORSED]

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

EvaHeinrichs3C

Achieve #9

Postby EvaHeinrichs3C » Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:24 am

For question #9 on the homework pertaining to the Rydberg equation, I have done the steps over about 15 times now and am unsure of what I am doing wrong. For the last step, we multiple by 10^-9 to convert meters into nanometers, correct?
And then directly before this, we square our answer because the Rydberg equation solution was given as 1/wavelength, so we must square our answer to just find the wavelength, correct?
Can't figure out where I'm going wrong here, so if you have any suggestions or know if I am at least doing these last two steps correctly/incorrectly? Thanks!

Joanna Zhao 1J
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Achieve #9

Postby Joanna Zhao 1J » Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:51 am

Looking over my work, I did not have to square my answer or use an exponent in any of my calculations. I used the Rydberg formula and then once I calculated the energy I used the formula lambda = hc/energy to find the wavelength. You are correct in that you multiply the answer in meters by 10^9 to yield the final answer in nanometers.

Hannah_Pon_1F
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Achieve #9  [ENDORSED]

Postby Hannah_Pon_1F » Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:22 am

For this problem, you should not have to square or square root anything. Use the Rydberg formula to find the frequency, inputting the final energy level (lower) as n1 and the initial energy level (higher) as n2. This is because the problem is modeling emission. After solving for the frequency, use the relationship lambda = c/v and convert to nanometers as said.

Return to “Quantum Numbers and The H-Atom”