Chapter 2 Homework #15

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Drishti_Jain_1D

Chapter 2 Homework #15

Postby Drishti_Jain_1D » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:14 pm

How many (a) nodal planes, (b) radial nodes are there in a 3p-orbital?

Focusing on part b, in the textbook, number of radial nodes = n - l -1.

For this problem, using the 3p orbital, I concluded that n = 3, due to the shell of the electron and l =1, due to the fact that this is the p orbital. These values would confirm that the number of radial nodes in the 3p orbital is 3 - 1 - 1 = one radial node.

Answer: 2 radial nodes

Can someone please explain where I went wrong, and why the answer is two radial nodes, not one radial node?

Sydmon Nguyen-Tran 1N

Re: Chapter 2 Homework #15

Postby Sydmon Nguyen-Tran 1N » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:32 am

I'm pretty sure that the solution manual is incorrect for this problem. Based on a few websites as well, they all say that the 3-p orbital has only one radial node, with two nodal planes in total.
According to http://chem.libretexts.org/Core/Physica ... c_Orbitals for example:
To "determine the nodes in the 3pz orbital, given that n = 3 and ℓ = 1 (because it is a p orbital). The total number of nodes present in this orbital is equal to n-1. In this case, 3-1=2, so there are 2 total nodes. The quantum number ℓ determines the number of angular nodes; there is 1 angular node, specifically on the xy plane because this is a pz orbital. Because there is one node left, there must be one radial node. To sum up, the 3pz orbital has 2 nodes: 1 angular node and 1 radial node."

Return to “Electron Configurations for Multi-Electron Atoms”