d and s orbitals

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Jose_Arambulo_2I

d and s orbitals

Postby Jose_Arambulo_2I » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:46 pm

Hi,
I just had a question about the order you're supposed to fill the s and d orbitals. Throughout high school, I was taught that the 4s orbital would be filled before the 3d orbital, but the notes and hw answers say otherwise. For example on question 2.43, it says that the configuration of Ag would be [Kr]5s1 4d10. Can I switch around the positions of the 4d and 5s in this example? And if I can't why not?

Jake_Benna_3J

Re: d and s orbitals

Postby Jake_Benna_3J » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:54 pm

For atoms after atomic number 20 (Ca), once the entire S state is full and you begin moving into the D orbital, the d orbital actually becomes lower energy than the S. So, when writing the configuration you will write the d before the s since you want to write the configuration out in increasing energy levels. The only exception to this is the half full d orbital(d5) and the full d orbital (d10). This has to do with the 4s e- becoming unpaired and the other e- going to the d orbital in both cases. Therefore, for all the d5 and d10 orbitals the configuration will be d before s. Ex: 3d5 4s1 OR 4d10 5s1

Pauline Tze 3B
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: d and s orbitals

Postby Pauline Tze 3B » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:04 pm

The answer in the solution manuals reads [Kr] 4d^10 5s^1

Make sure you list the electron configurations in order of increasing energy levels (ex n=4 before n=5) then within each set, your orbitals should be in order of s, p, d, f.

Hopefully that helps.

Return to “Electron Configurations for Multi-Electron Atoms”