Spin of parallel electrons

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Yashaswi Dis 1K

Spin of parallel electrons

Postby Yashaswi Dis 1K » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:40 am

In class today, we discussed how the spin of parallel electrons can either be up or down. Whenever I draw electron configurations for ex. Nitrogen's, for the p subshell, I draw the electrons as if their m(s) is +1/2. For ex: for nitrogen I would do: [He] (in 2s-orbital: up arrow and down arrow) (in p-orbital: up arrow in px, up arrow in py, and then up arrow in pz). In the px, py, and pz, is it correct to have arrows spins being up instead of down? I don't know a case where all the parallel spins for N would be facing down in the p-subshell.

Also, is it necessary to write out px, py, and pz? Or can we just do 2p^2 for example?

Maddie Hong 1I

Re: Spin of parallel electrons

Postby Maddie Hong 1I » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:01 pm

For nitrogen in its ground state, all the arrows in the p orbital should be facing up. But if there were a few more electrons like in fluorine which has 9, then you would finish filling in the subshells with down arrows so that px and py have both an up facing and down facing arrow, while pz has one up facing arrow. In general, you fill in orbitals by putting all the up arrows first into the sub shells and then, if there's still electrons to add, you put the down facing arrows next to them.

I think px, py, and pz helps specify which sub shells have electrons and how many. I'm not entirely sure what Dr. Lavelle wants, but I would write with px, py and pz just in case. However if the p orbital is completely full i think you can just write 2p6 and you don't have to specify which sub shells since they're all filled.

Hope this helps!!

Return to “Electron Configurations for Multi-Electron Atoms”