4s and 3d

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Hellen Truong 2J
Been upvoted: 1 time

4s and 3d

Postby Hellen Truong 2J » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:35 pm

Why are electrons removed from the 4s orbital first if it is a lower energy and is filled before the 3d orbital is?

Lena Nguyen 2H
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: 4s and 3d

Postby Lena Nguyen 2H » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:43 pm

4s is only lower than 3d when 3d doesn't have electrons. Once electrons enter the 3d orbitals, 3d is lower in energy than 4s. So an electron would be removed from 4s before 3d.

nickjadidian 1A

Re: 4s and 3d

Postby nickjadidian 1A » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:53 pm

I found this concept to be quite confusing at first as well. If we are taught that 4s fills up before 3d, then why, in the case of transition metals, do the cations formed always lose the 4s electrons before they lose the 3d electrons? I've considered this concept at length and have found this very helpful article to shed some light on the subject. It makes a unique distinction between how 3d and 4s are filled, which is an explanation that seems to have support from what we know about the way electrons can move up or down between electron orbitals: one piece of information that confirms this is that we understand electrons must pass through all of the higher energy levels (until n = ) before leaving the atom. I hope you enjoy!

https://www.adriandingleschemistrypages.com/ap/4s-3d-3d-4s-copper-chromium-sloppy-aufbau-eric-scerri/

Return to “Electron Configurations for Multi-Electron Atoms”