Electron Configuration for ions

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Genisis Cabral

Electron Configuration for ions

Postby Genisis Cabral » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:55 pm

When presented with an positive ion of an element for example like Fe2+, I go about writing the electron configuration of the original element itself but afterwards I feel as though I may still be confused on how to write the configuration correctly. My thought was that you would remove electrons from the outermost shell, but I'm not sure thats right. Whats the correct way to approach this?

Curtis Wong 2D

Re: Electron Configuration for ions

Postby Curtis Wong 2D » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:05 pm

Fe2+ and other metals within the d-block are much harder to write the electron configuration for due to their nature. Some of them are transition metals and can have different oxidation numbers too. For the most part, focus on the s-block and p-block in order to write electron configuration and create ions from them. And yes, you are right. To create ions, you remove electrons or add electrons to the valence shell.

Alexandra Wade 1L
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Electron Configuration for ions

Postby Alexandra Wade 1L » Mon May 07, 2018 7:56 pm

Therefore the electron configuration for Fe in its ground state would be [Ar] 3d^6 4s^2 and then you remove the two valence electrons from the d orbital to make Fe^2+ which would be [Ar] 3d^5 4s^1 because it is isoelectronic with Chromium.

Return to “Electron Configurations for Multi-Electron Atoms”