d block electron configuration

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

danielruiz1G

d block electron configuration

Postby danielruiz1G » Wed May 02, 2018 2:05 pm

In electron configuration why do we start from 3 in period 4 when working in the d block?

Jessica Urzua-1H

Re: d block electron configuration

Postby Jessica Urzua-1H » Wed May 02, 2018 8:51 pm

I did some research because your question made me curious as well. The d-block is believed to start with 3d even though it is in the 4th period, because it deals with different amounts of energy. For example, scandium's (Sc) electron configuration is written as [Ar] 3d^1 4s^2 because the 3d state is lower in energy than 4s. The numbers preceding the orbital make it easier to understand the energy levels and how electron configurations should be written regardless of an element's placement on the periodic table. I hope this helps!!

Cameron Smith 1I
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Cameron Smith 1I » Fri May 04, 2018 2:48 am

Would it be safe to say that the elements in the same group as copper and chromium follow the same rules in terms of electron configuration?

Cameron Smith 1I

Postby Cameron Smith 1I » Fri May 04, 2018 2:53 am

Also why do cations in the d block lose their s orbital electrons before their d orbital electrons?

YeseniaGomez_1L

Postby YeseniaGomez_1L » Fri May 04, 2018 8:22 am

Cameron Smith 1I wrote:Also why do cations in the d block lose their s orbital electrons before their d orbital electrons?

I think it has to do with the energy of the 3d orbitals being slightly less than that of the 4s. This link explains a lot: https://www.chemguide.co.uk/atoms/prope ... oblem.html
Hope that helps :)

ramayyala1G

Postby ramayyala1G » Sun May 13, 2018 6:26 pm

Cations in the d-block lose their electrons in the s-orbital because generally transition metals in the d block will try to either maintain a half or full state as it is more stable. As a result, it is easier to lose the electrons in the 4s orbital first than the d-block because it allows the elements to remain stable. That is why cations in the dblock will generally lose from the s-orbital in order to remain stable.

Return to “Electron Configurations for Multi-Electron Atoms”