ground state electron configuration

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Kensharra D 3J

ground state electron configuration

Postby Kensharra D 3J » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:42 pm

I'm not exactly sure how to find the ground state electron configuration- a question states, "Write the ground state electron configuration for each of the following atoms: sodium, silicon, chlorine, and rubidium"

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 702 times

Re: ground state electron configuration

Postby Chem_Mod » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:11 pm

Electron configurations are written so as to clearly show the number of electrons in the atom as well as the number of electrons in each orbital. Each orbital is written in sequence, with the number of electrons in each orbital written in superscript to the right of the orbital name. The final electron configuration is a single string of orbital names and superscripts. For example, sodium has 11 protons and 11 electrons. Its electron configuration is 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s1. If you add up the superscripts, you can see that it adds up to the 11 electrons characteristic of sodium. To determine the order of notation for electron configurations, the orbitals with the lowest energy level will be filled in first, shown by the order noted in the diagram below. Image.

Hope that helps!

Sophie Roberts 1E

Postby Sophie Roberts 1E » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:36 pm

I am also confused on this... For when you are asked to write the electron configuration, when do you not fill up the first orbital and move onto the next one? Like if you were to write 1s2,2s2,2p6,3s1,3p3,3d... How do you determine which orbitals you don't fill?

haleyervin7

Postby haleyervin7 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:50 pm

I also have a question on this, how do you know how many electrons are on each orbital? Is this something that is constant between elements (i.e. the 1s orbital always has two) or does it vary from element to element?

Return to “Electron Configurations for Multi-Electron Atoms”