Test Two: Electron Configuration

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Sydney Stump

Test Two: Electron Configuration

Postby Sydney Stump » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:24 pm

So I just wanted to check because we spent a little bit of time talking about the electron configuration of multi-electron atoms in the lecture today but will it be on the second test?

LG2019

Re: Test Two: Electron Configuration

Postby LG2019 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:27 pm

I believe Professor Lavelle said that everything up to, and including, today's lecture material will be on test two.

Layla Manoochehri

Postby Layla Manoochehri » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:29 pm

does this include knowing the appearances of the orbitals like the d-orbital?

Lily Smith 4C

Postby Lily Smith 4C » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:30 pm

I am very confused about what spin means for an electron. Can anyone explain this? Thank you

Linh Vo 2J

Postby Linh Vo 2J » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:44 am

Layla Manoochehri wrote:does this include knowing the appearances of the orbitals like the d-orbital?

To clarify, in my workshop today, my UA said that appearances of the orbitals would be useful to know and he might expect us to know the orbital shapes of s (circle-shaped), p (infinity sign-shaped), and d (four leaf clover-shaped). However, I don't think we will be expected to draw them, just to be able to recognize and differentiate between them.

MaggieMatern_Dis1H

Postby MaggieMatern_Dis1H » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:14 pm

Response to Lily Smith on electron spin

Electron spin is the 4th quantum number denoted by ms, and it affects the magnetic field. There are only two possibilities for the 'spin' an electron can have, which are spin up and spin down. If the electron is spin up, its ms value is +1/2, and if it is spin down, its ms value is -1/2.

Two electrons can occupy the same orbital, but as we talked about in lecture today, they must be paired, and one of them must spin up and the other spin down. Therefore, this fourth quantum number makes the electron completely specific and denotes what unique electron is being referred to.

Emmaraf 1K

Postby Emmaraf 1K » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:45 pm

Response to Lily Smith on electron spin:
In addition to the other commenter, electron spin is more of a concept to help us understand the nature of electrons and why it's possible to have two electrons in a single orbital. Technically, electrons don't exactly "spin" in the traditional sense of the word but rather "spin" is just a condition that electron have. I doubt we'll need to know the specific details about what is meant by electron spin but if you are curious it was the Stern-Gerlach experiment in which this fourth quantum number was discovered.

Return to “Electron Configurations for Multi-Electron Atoms”