Exceptions to Trends

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Samantha Chung 4I

Exceptions to Trends

Postby Samantha Chung 4I » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:12 am

I remember when writing electronic configuratons, there were two exceptions Chromium and copper, I think professor lavelle mentioned "why" these are exceptions in class. Can someone re-explain this to me?

Thanks!

Rithana Srikanth 3L

Re: Exceptions to Trends

Postby Rithana Srikanth 3L » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:18 am

Half-filled and completely filled d orbitals have lower energy which makes them more stable, hence electrons will tend to rearrange themselves towards this state. In chromium and copper, an electron is excited from the 4s orbital to the 3d orbital in order to make the 3d orbital half filled (in the case of chromium) or completely filled (in the case of copper).

Haowen_Liang_3E

Postby Haowen_Liang_3E » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:33 am

The profession also mentions that what he said is a theory of why the phenomenon occurs, so maybe the science world doesn't fully understand it yet.

Raymond Ko 1H

Postby Raymond Ko 1H » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:20 am

The exceptions to the trends of electron configuration arrange in different ways because the goal of atoms is to arrange their electrons in the most stable manner, with the lowest energy. Also remember that when you are turning atoms into anions and removing electrons, always take electrons from the top shell first, the valence shell.

Return to “Electron Configurations for Multi-Electron Atoms”