electrostatic (coulomb) potential energy  [ENDORSED]

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Katherine Chhen 3I

electrostatic (coulomb) potential energy

Postby Katherine Chhen 3I » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:24 pm

When would the coulomb potential energy equation be applied and what does the result represent?

JOtomo1F
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: electrostatic (coulomb) potential energy

Postby JOtomo1F » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:45 pm

I believe in lecture that Dr. Lavelle said we have to understand the concept behind the equation rather than use the equation.

Karina Kong 2H

Re: electrostatic (coulomb) potential energy

Postby Karina Kong 2H » Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:01 pm

I think Dr. Lavelle just wanted us to conceptualize the equation. Q1 and Q2 represent the magnitude of the charges while r represents the distance between the two particles. If the Ep comes out as negative, that means the particles are attracted to each other since they are opposite signs. If Ep comes out positive, they are of the same charge and are not attracted to each other.

Aarja Pavade 1H

Re: electrostatic (coulomb) potential energy  [ENDORSED]

Postby Aarja Pavade 1H » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:45 pm

Furthermore, he wanted us to understand the relationship between the charges and the electrostatic potential energy as well as the relationship between the distance of the charges and the electrostatic potential energy. From the equation E=(q1)(q2)/r, we see that the energy is directly proportional to q1 and q2 and inversely proportional to r. That goes to say that when there is an increase in the magnitude of the charges, the energy will also increase and when there is an increase in the distance between the charges the energy will decrease.

Return to “Electron Configurations for Multi-Electron Atoms”