Exceptions (Cr and Cu)

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

EricZhao3G

Exceptions (Cr and Cu)

Postby EricZhao3G » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:32 pm

I know that Dr. Lavelle mentioned that Cr and Cu are exceptions to the rules and have electron configurations of [Ar] 3d5 4s1 and [Ar] 3d10 4s1 respectively. Does this extrapolate to the whole group 6 and group 11 where an electron is always taken from the 4s orbital?

Brian_Ho_2B

Re: Exceptions (Cr and Cu)

Postby Brian_Ho_2B » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:38 pm

The pattern only happens again in the 4d row; it doesn't exactly replicate in the 6th or 7th rows. However, there are some changes in the 4d row that are different than the 3d row. Luckily, we won't really have to worry about those periods as all of this class will be centered on the main group elements and the 3d row and not the other d rows or f rows, and most of biochem will be focused on those elemental groups as well.

Victoria Li 1L

Postby Victoria Li 1L » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:12 pm

I think it would probably occur in groups 6 and 7 as well, in addition to some similar electron transferring in the f orbital. But like Dr. Lavelle said, we won't really have to worry about the details past Cr and Cu!

Esha Chawla 2E

Postby Esha Chawla 2E » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:58 pm

EricZhao3G wrote:I know that Dr. Lavelle mentioned that Cr and Cu are exceptions to the rules and have electron configurations of [Ar] 3d5 4s1 and [Ar] 3d10 4s1 respectively. Does this extrapolate to the whole group 6 and group 11 where an electron is always taken from the 4s orbital?

However, while doing the Homework set, I noticed that there were some other exceptions to Aufbau's Principle. These include Ruthenium, Rhodium, Silver and Platinum. However, as Professor Lavelle mentioned, we only have to worry about Chromium and Copper.

Return to “Electron Configurations for Multi-Electron Atoms”