Electron Configuration Specifics

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

xenamclean_1G

Electron Configuration Specifics

Postby xenamclean_1G » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:55 pm

In class, Lavelle did the electron configuration for Nitrogen and used the subscripts x1, y1, and z1 : 1s2 2s2 2px1 2py1 2pz1 ; does anyone why he did this and if we have to do this each time we do an electron configuration?

Sydney Myers 4I

Re: Electron Configuration Specifics

Postby Sydney Myers 4I » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:30 pm

He did this in order to demonstrate Hund's Rule, that electrons fill each orbital before they are paired in one orbital. He was representing each electron in its own orbital instead of just giving the total number of electrons in the subshell. He said that it's BETTER and more specific to do it in this way, but he said it's not wrong to use the simplified version.

Rebecca Epner 4A

Postby Rebecca Epner 4A » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:46 pm

From what I could gather, he recommended writing the configuration in this way if not all the orbitals are filled just so we could better visualize how electrons are paired with one another. I think it explains the reasoning behind this in the book a little more if you want more info

AChoudhry_1L

Postby AChoudhry_1L » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:01 am

Sydney Myers 4H wrote:He did this in order to demonstrate Hund's Rule, that electrons fill each orbital before they are paired in one orbital. He was representing each electron in its own orbital instead of just giving the total number of electrons in the subshell. He said that it's BETTER and more specific to do it in this way, but he said it's not wrong to use the simplified version.

What do these subscripts represent? Is it the orbitals within each shell and do all shells have the x, y, z orbitals?

Return to “Electron Configurations for Multi-Electron Atoms”