sapling problem

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

emmaferry2D

sapling problem

Postby emmaferry2D » Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:54 pm

On #4 of the sapling homework part of the problem is asking comparatively which bonds have ample bond character, would anyone be able to explain this to me?

Arielle Sass 2A
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: sapling problem

Postby Arielle Sass 2A » Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:43 pm

Hi, I believe when it says "ample" bond character it means it somewhat has that bond character, as opposed to the other options which say the bonds have an "overwhelming" bond character of some type. The bond lengths that they tell us are found within the molecule are mostly in the middle of what is expected for single or double bonds of those types (ie, observed C-O bond length is 128 pm, while C-O has expected bond length 143 and C=O has expected bond length 112), so it doesn't have the character of one bond "overwhelmingly" over the other.

Natalie Do 3F

Postby Natalie Do 3F » Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:58 pm

This question confused me too because I assumed ample meant a lot like it does in normal conversation.

Jared Limqueco 3E

Postby Jared Limqueco 3E » Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:58 pm

Arielle Sass 1L wrote:Hi, I believe when it says "ample" bond character it means it somewhat has that bond character, as opposed to the other options which say the bonds have an "overwhelming" bond character of some type. The bond lengths that they tell us are found within the molecule are mostly in the middle of what is expected for single or double bonds of those types (ie, observed C-O bond length is 128 pm, while C-O has expected bond length 143 and C=O has expected bond length 112), so it doesn't have the character of one bond "overwhelmingly" over the other.

I'm still confusion. Are you saying ample bond character is talking about what Dr. Lavelle says about double and single bond blending?

Return to “Electron Configurations for Multi-Electron Atoms”