Valence electron numbers

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Bella Bursulaya 3G
Posts: 139
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:54 pm

Valence electron numbers

Postby Bella Bursulaya 3G » Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:51 pm

I think that valence electrons are every electron after the noble gas, but do we include d electrons? In the textbook problems, it sometimes does and sometimes doesn't include the d electrons as the valence. For example, how many valence would Sb +3 have? It's electron configuration is 4d105s2, so would it have only 2 valence electrons or 12?

Izamary Marquez 2H
Posts: 94
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:44 pm

Re: Valence electron numbers

Postby Izamary Marquez 2H » Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:31 pm

I may be wrong, but I remember Lavelle saying that even though the d orbital is listed before the s-orbital, it is technically last... With this being said, wouldn't that mean that it has 10 valence electrons?

AdilaAhmed3I
Posts: 96
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:01 pm

Re: Valence electron numbers

Postby AdilaAhmed3I » Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:34 pm

Bella Bursulaya 1F wrote:I think that valence electrons are every electron after the noble gas, but do we include d electrons? In the textbook problems, it sometimes does and sometimes doesn't include the d electrons as the valence. For example, how many valence would Sb +3 have? It's electron configuration is 4d105s2, so would it have only 2 valence electrons or 12?



The electron configuration for Sb is 1s^2 2s^2 2p^6 3s^2 3p^6 3d^10 4s^2 4p^6 4d^10 5s^2 5p^3. So to make it an Sb+3, we would remove the 3 outermost valence electrons which would be the 5p^3 valence electrons and the configuration would be: 1s^2 2s^2 2p^6 3s^2 3p^6 3d^10 4s^2 4p^6 4d^10 5s^2. If we put it into condensed configuration it would be [Kr] 4d^10 5s^2. The valence electrons would be the 4d^10 5s^2. A valence electron is an outer shell electron that is associated with an atom.

Izamary Marquez 2H
Posts: 94
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:44 pm

Re: Valence electron numbers

Postby Izamary Marquez 2H » Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:08 pm

Hello, I had a question regarding the electrons filling up different levels of the p-orbital.. Why can other orbitals have up to 8 electrons on their outermost energy level but the in the p-orbital they fill up x, y, and then z spaces of that orbital?

Julianna_flores3E
Posts: 91
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:52 pm

Re: Valence electron numbers

Postby Julianna_flores3E » Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:24 pm

I think that the p orbital that you are talking about has to do more with quantum numbers rather than valence electrons? Correct me if I am mistaken.

Lakshmi Davuluri 1E
Posts: 90
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:50 pm

Re: Valence electron numbers

Postby Lakshmi Davuluri 1E » Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:32 pm

Julianna_flores3L wrote:I think that the p orbital that you are talking about has to do more with quantum numbers rather than valence electrons? Correct me if I am mistaken.

Yeah, I agree. I think this has to do more with the shape and the wave function, but I'm not positive

Bella Bursulaya 3G
Posts: 139
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:54 pm

Re: Valence electron numbers

Postby Bella Bursulaya 3G » Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:01 am

Lakshmi Davuluri 3K wrote:
Julianna_flores3L wrote:I think that the p orbital that you are talking about has to do more with quantum numbers rather than valence electrons? Correct me if I am mistaken.

Yeah, I agree. I think this has to do more with the shape and the wave function, but I'm not positive


Regarding the p orbitals, I mean they fill up with valence electrons. P orbitals have valence electrons, I was not referring to their shape. The electron configuration of 4d105s2 confused me because I wasn't sure if it was 2 valence electrons or 10, because we typically do not count valence electrons for d orbitals, unless it is a transition metal.


Return to “Electron Configurations for Multi-Electron Atoms”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests